Sunday, July 24, 2011

Home baking

My family & I have enjoyed home-baked bread for many years. I buy buns for the kids but rarely buy a loaf, other than one to keep in the freezer for emergencies. Every weekend I get out the breadmaker and knock up a couple of loaves to see us through the week.

Most of the time, they come out well. Sometimes not. I've no idea what I do differently, but there are so many variables that it's impossible to control them all precisely.

Today I set one going. Came home from walking the dog, opened up the lid. Uh-oh, hasn't risen anywhere near enough. Darn it!

I was pissed for a while, but then I thought: it's still fresh bread. It'll taste OK anyway. Whatever's left will be good for breadcrumbs. And, when I think about it, I'm lucky to be able to enjoy fresh bread at all. How many people in the world would envy me this luxury, even if it didn't come up to my usual standard?

1 comment: